Next time you’re chatting up a woman, open with funny pick up lines. It’ll go over better than you may think.
Turns out men have a hard time knowing how women respond to different pickup lines. That’s according to a recent study from the University of Edinburgh.In particular; the study said men can’t guess how well humor and sexual innuendo will go over with women.
“The best funny pickup lines are the ones that are just so stupid you have to laugh, and that laughing will hopefully turn into an actual conversation,” Sexual talk, on the other hand, doesn’t work though many men continue to think so.
Here’s how the study worked: Men and women were shown 40 situations in which a man tried to start a conversation with a woman. The men and women rated each situation on how likely they thought the woman would be to continue the interaction.
The lines that the men tried fell into four categories: sexual, humorous, complimentary, or something that indicated he was a “good mate such as discussing a painting at an art gallery or asking a female jogger who tripped if she was okay. Turns out the men and women rated the scenarios differently.
Men overestimated how successful sexually explicit lines such as the candid, “Look, we get on pretty well, and I was just wondering if you want to have sex with me tonight?” would go over. And men underestimated how positively women would react to comments that displayed positive traits like kindness, wealth, and honesty.
Funny Pick Up Lines
- All this could be yours for one low, low price!
- Apart from being sexy, what do you do for a living?
- Are you a parking ticket? (What?) You got fine written all over you.
- Are you a tamale? ‘Cause you’re hot.
- As she’s leaving….Hey aren’t you forgetting something? She: What? Me!
- Ask a woman for the time. “10:30? So today is January 10,1999, at 10:30 PM, thanks I just wanted to be able to remember the exact moment that I met you.”
- Baby did you fart, ’cause you blow me away!
- Baby, if you were words on a page, you’d be what they call fine print
- Baby, somebody better call God, cuz he’s missing an angel!
- Baby, you must be a broom, cause you just swept me off my feet.
- Baby, you’re so sweet, you put Hershey’s outta business.
- Baby, you’re the next contestant in the game of love.
- Can i get your picture to prove to all my friends that angels really do exist?
- Can I have directions? [“To where?”] To your heart.
- Champaign can be tickly, and so can I.
- (Close hand with nothing inside and give it to her) It’s my breath from when you took it away (open palm while saying this).
- Coffee? Tea? Me?
- Damn, if being sexy was a crime, you’d be guilty as charged!
- Did the sun come out or did you just smile at me?
- Did you have Campbell’s soup today? (she answers yes/no) Because you’re lookin’ mmm… mmm… good!
- Do you have room in your life for another friend?
- Do you have the time? [Gives the time] No, the time to write down my number?
- Do you know karate? ‘Cause your body is really kickin’.
- Does Levi’s pay you for wearing those and looking that good?
- Does my breath smell okay?
- Does your watch have a second hand? I want to know how long it took for me to fall in love with you.
- Don’t walk into that building — the sprinklers might go off!
- Don’t you know me from somewhere?
- Ever since I met you, you’ve lived in my heart without paying any rent.
- Excuse me miss, I don’t mean to stare, but um I think you’re really Beautiful”
What Always Works
Don’t underestimate the power of humor and funny pick up lines. Women in the study rated funny pickup lines more favorably than men did. Using the right kind of humor can be a great conversation starter.
“People want to be with somebody who makes them laugh,” Tiger says. “It’s easier for somebody to accept you or to continue the conversation when you initiate it with a laugh.”
Rabin suggests saying funny pick up lines that’s relevant to where you are and what you’re doing. But avoid sarcasm because it can put people off. A light joke also shows you put some thought into your approach.
“One reason the ‘humorous pickup‘ is successful is because you are giving us something—a laugh—rather than trying to get something from us—sex—in the first few minutes you meet us. If you’re trying to make us laugh, you’re making an effort, which can be immensely appealing,” Daily says.
She has one warning, though: “Don’t try this approach if you’re not funny. If you’re not getting real laughs, or if you find yourself saying ‘Get it?’ even once, it’s time to switch strategies. Remember: Funny is sexy. Not funny is annoying.”
Originally posted 2012-03-27 05:24:58.